COVID-19 is a member of the Coronaviridae family of viruses, which also includes feline coronavirus — and so can cause a wide spectrum of human and animal diseases. In scientific terms, the coronavirus group of viruses are enveloped and so rely on a protective liquid coating. These tend to be the easiest viruses to deactivate. This is because gastrointestinal viruses like Norovirus have a tough protein shell whereas viruses with a lipid coating, like COVID-19, are relatively vulnerable.
The range of antimicrobial PVC strip curtains available from Strip Curtains Direct contains an antibacterial product which resists the growth of bacteria, fungi, biofilm and mould. Normally, when microbes land on a surface they multiply, Coronavirus is widely thought to be spread from person to person, but it can also spread from contact with infected surfaces or objects. For example, a person may catch COVID-19 by touching an object or a surface which has COVID-19 on it, and then touching his or her own eyes, nose or mouth.
Antimicrobial products differ from antibacterial due to the type of microorganisms they act upon:
- Antibacterial technologies are effective against a broad spectrum of bacteria, including E.Coli and MRSA, and usually tend to include silver active ingredients which makes them suitable for use in a wide variety of applications.
- Antimicrobial technologies minimise the presence of bacteria, mould and fungi as they offer a greater level of product protection by inhibiting the growth of microbes on surfaces for long periods of time. Typical active ingredients include silver or zinc, and they are suitable for use in lots of hygiene critical environments such as commercial kitchens, hospitals and schools.
The benefits of using an antimicrobial product to help prevent the spread of COVID-19 include:
- Effectiveness against bacteria — it is scientifically proven that bacteria struggle to survive when they interact with a product that has antimicrobial properties.
- Cleaner areas — antimicrobial products, such as our strip curtains, inhibit the growth of odour and stain-causing bacteria which can damage the aesthetic and structural properties of your strip curtains. This enables your business to stay feeling cleaner and fresher for longer.
- Extends strip curtain life — as antimicrobial protection minimises the damage caused by microbial growth on the surface of your strip curtain, which helps to minimise the risk of degradation.
- Mould and mildew resistance — antimicrobial properties also inhibit the growth of unsightly mould and mildew on a product.
- Remains cleaner in between cleanings — some bacteria can double on untreated surfaces every 20 minutes, whereas products with antimicrobial properties are continuously challenging the ability of the microbes to survive on the surface which helps the curtains stay cleaner longer.
- Reduced risk of cross-contamination. Antimicrobial products are inherently cleaner than other products, which means they are less likely to aid the transfer of degrading microbes from surface to surface — making them ideal for hygiene critical environments
To find out more about our antimicrobial strips or any of our other products designed to combat the spread of COVID-19 please call us on 0333 999 7171 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org